How much will the two-hour session cost?
- The total cost for the 2-hour session is $495 plus HST. The family and financial divorce professional fees run in excess of $200 per hour and lawyer fees typically range from $350 to $500 per hour per person.
- Given our goal to make this service available to as many separating couples as possible we have decided on this flat fee model because of our belief that information at the outset of separation is important in helping you to make the best choices for you and your family going forward.
What is the advantage of a meeting with neutral professionals?
- Separation is not just a legal issue; it involves changes in relationships and finances. You will meet with financial, family and legal professionals in one visit
- You and your partner will hear the same information at the same time
- After this meeting you will be in a better position to choose a process and a lawyer best suited to your process needs
Why would I not just start with a lawyer?
- Typically you and your partner would have to meet with two separate lawyers to get legal information as a lawyer can only represent one of you in negotiations, therefore an early neutral information meeting can be more cost effective
- Without hearing both perspectives (yours and your partner’s) a lawyer may not have sufficient information at an initial meeting to advise you on realistic outcomes
- By each seeing different lawyers before choosing the settlement process best suited to your family, you may inadvertently eliminate certain process options
Can you do the whole separation for us?
- This is a single session designed to provide you with information that will enable you to move forward. Our relationship ends at the end of the session. You can later engage the neutral family and financial professionals provided you both consent in writing to their participation. The lawyer can only be involved later as a neutral mediator and cannot provide independent legal advice to either of you
What do I need to bring to the meeting?
- In advance of the meeting we will ask you to review our Acknowledgement and Consent agreement and to complete an information form to bring to our meeting
- No other written documentation is required.
Can I come alone?
- One of the benefits of an Early Neutral Information meeting is that both of you get the same information and hear the responses to each other’s questions
Can one of us hire the lawyer to represent us?
- No, as stated above, the lawyer is providing information at this meeting as a neutral and therefore cannot act for one of you in future negotiations
Why do I need independent legal advice?
- The lawyer at our meeting is providing legal information and not legal advice
- The lawyer you ultimately retain will provide legal advice to ensure that your separation agreement is legally durable